An FBI agent says the longtime girlfriend of reputed former Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger told a California hairdresser she "liked bad boys."
Special Agent Michael Carazza testified Wednesday at a bail hearing for Catherine Greig, reports CBS station WBZ.
She's charged with harboring a fugitive. Bulger and Greig were captured last month in Calfornia after 16 years on the run.
Carazza said Greig told the hairdresser that she knew her husband, apparently referring to Bulger, was a bad boy when she married him but had mellowed.
The couple had posed as husband and wife. Greig's lawyer argues she didn't participate in serious crimes and left Boston with Bulger when many people saw him as a "hero-like figure."
Longtime Whitey Bulger associate Kevin Weeks also took the stand on Wednesday to testify on Greig's behalf. He told the court he traveled to Chicago in 1996 to make fake IDs for Whitey and Catherine. He portrayed Greig as a nice woman. "She's a strong person," he stated on the stand. "She's a caring, compassionate person." Weeks also noted that Bulger never included Catherine in "business" and said she was never violent. Family members of
Bulger's victims were set to testify against Greig. They want her to stay behind bars, arguing she protected a murderer for 16 years.
Thanks to CBS News
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Best of the Month!
- Chicago Mob Infamous Locations Map
- The Chicago Syndicate AKA "The Outfit"
- One Family's Rise, A Century of Power
- THE OUTFIT'S GREATEST HITS
- Mafia Links of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
- Top Ten Signs a Mafia Boss is Nuts
- Profile: Harry Aleman
- Firm with reputed mob ties flourishes
- Abraham Kiswani, Owner of World Security Bureau, Indicted on Tax Evasion Charges
- Chicago Alderman Ed Burke Charged with Extortion by Federal Prosecutors #Corruption