John F. Kennedy died almost half a century ago--yet because of his extraordinary promise and untimely death, his star still resonates strongly. On the anniversary of his assassination, celebrated political scientist and analyst Larry J. Sabato--himself a teenager in the early 1960s and inspired by JFK and his presidency--explores the fascinating and powerful influence he has had over five decades on the media, the general public, and especially on each of his nine presidential successors.
A recent Gallup poll gave JFK the highest job approval rating of any of those successors, and millions remain captivated by his one thousand days in the White House. For all of them, and for those who feel he would not be judged so highly if he hadn't died tragically in office, The Kennedy Half-Century will be particularly revealing. Sabato reexamines JFK's assassination using heretofore unseen information to which he has had unique access, then documents the extraordinary effect the assassination has had on Americans of every modern generation through the most extensive survey ever undertaken on the public's view of a historical figure. The full and fascinating results, gathered by the accomplished pollsters Peter Hart and Geoff Garin, paint a compelling portrait of the country a half-century after the epochal killing. Just as significantly, Sabato shows how JFK's presidency has strongly influenced the policies and decisions--often in surprising ways--of every president since.
Among the hundreds of books devoted to JFK, The Kennedy Half-Century: The Presidency, Assassination, and Lasting Legacy of John F. Kennedy, stands apart for its rich insight and original perspective. Anyone who reads it will appreciate in new ways the profound impact JFK's short presidency has had on our national psyche.
Best of the Month!
- Living the high life without getting caught
- Chicago Mob Infamous Locations Map
- Profile: Harry Aleman
- The Chicago Syndicate AKA "The Outfit"
- The Ruthless Rise of Mobster Joey "The Clown" Lombardo
- Top 10 Most Wanted True-Crime Movies
- Frank 'The German' Schweihs - "A Killer, That's All, A Killer of a Girl"
- Crazy Joey Gallo's Widow Reflects on being Married to the Mob
- Organized Crime, Led by Hells Angels, the Mafia, and Street Gangs, Dominates Towing Industry via Violence
- Mafia Leader's Wife and Sons Assaulted During Home Invasion, Arrests Made