How can a nation that spawned the Renaissance have produced the Mafia? How could people concerned with bella figura (keeping up appearances) have elected Silvio Berlusconi as their leader—not once, but three times? Sublime and maddening, fascinating yet baffling, Italy is a country of seemingly unsolvable riddles.
John Hooper’s entertaining and perceptive new book is the ideal companion for anyone seeking to understand contemporary Italy and the unique character of the Italians. Digging deep into their history, culture, and religion, Hooper offers keys to understanding everything from their bewildering politics to their love of life and beauty. Looking at the facts that lie behind the stereotypes, he sheds new light on many aspects of Italian life: football and Freemasonry, sex, symbolism, and the reason why Italian has twelve words for a coat hanger, yet none for a hangover.
Even readers who think they know Italy well will be surprised, challenged, and delighted by The Italians.
Best of the Month!
- Profile: Harry Aleman
- Chicago Mob Infamous Locations Map
- Top 10 Most Wanted True-Crime Movies
- Frank 'The German' Schweihs - "A Killer, That's All, A Killer of a Girl"
- Top 10: Gangsters
- How Did Chicago became a Cultural Capital of Crime?
- Organized Crime, Led by Hells Angels, the Mafia, and Street Gangs, Dominates Towing Industry via Violence
- The Chicago Syndicate AKA "The Outfit"
- The Brothershood Mob Squad
- The Ruthless Rise of Mobster Joey "The Clown" Lombardo