Mark Songini, author of Boston Mob: The Rise and Fall of the New England Mob and Its Most Notorious Killer, appears tonight on Crime Beat Radio.
The New England Mafia was a hugely powerful organization that survived by using violence to ruthlessly crush anyone that threatened it, or its lucrative gambling, loansharking, bootlegging and other enterprises. Psychopathic strongman Joseph “The Animal” Barboza was one of the most feared mob enforcers of all time, killing as many as thirty people for business and pleasure.
From information based on newly declassified documents and the use of underworld sources, Boston Mob spans the gutters and alleyways of East Boston, Providence and Charlestown to the halls of Congress in Washington D.C. and Boston’s Beacon Hill. Its players include governors and mayors, and the Mafia Commission of New York City. From the tragic legacy of the Kennedy family to the Winter Hill-Charlestown feud, the fall of the New England Mafia and the rise of Whitey Bulger, Mark Songini's Boston Mob is a saga of treachery, murder, greed, and the survival of ruthless men pitted against legal systems and police forces.
Crime Beat is a weekly hour-long radio program that airs every Thursday at 8 p.m. EST. Crime Beat presents fascinating topics that bring listeners closer to the dynamic underbelly of the world of crime. Guests have included ex-mobsters, undercover law enforcement agents, sports officials, informants, prisoners, drug dealers and investigative journalists, who have provided insights and fresh information about the world’s most fascinating subject: crime.
Best of the Month!
- Living the high life without getting caught
- Chicago Mob Infamous Locations Map
- Profile: Harry Aleman
- The Chicago Syndicate AKA "The Outfit"
- Top 10 Most Wanted True-Crime Movies
- The Ruthless Rise of Mobster Joey "The Clown" Lombardo
- Frank 'The German' Schweihs - "A Killer, That's All, A Killer of a Girl"
- Crazy Joey Gallo's Widow Reflects on being Married to the Mob
- Organized Crime, Led by Hells Angels, the Mafia, and Street Gangs, Dominates Towing Industry via Violence
- Mafia Leader's Wife and Sons Assaulted During Home Invasion, Arrests Made