An associate of the Genovese Organized Crime Family of La Cosa Nostra was sentenced last Wednesday in federal court to 14 1/3 years in federal prison after pleading guilty to robbery, extortion and firearms charges.
John Melicharek, also known as “Rocky,” was an associate in the crew of Genovese Family captain, or “capo” Angelo Prisco.
One of the crimes with which he was involved was a home invasion in Orange County. Melicharek and his co-conspirators targeted the cash proceeds of the business owned by one of the home’s occupants. He helped plan the robbery, recruiting a break-in team, and procured guns for use during the robbery.
Melicharek then drove the break-in team to the victim’s home. The members of the team entered the home, tied up and assaulted the victim who was inside, and searched the home for cash and other valuables.
Best of the Month!
- Chicago Mob Infamous Locations Map
- Top 10 Most Wanted True-Crime Movies
- The Ruthless Rise of Mobster Joey "The Clown" Lombardo
- One Family's Rise, A Century of Power
- The Battaglias: From Siciliy to the Chicago Mob to the NHL
- Firm with reputed mob ties flourishes
- Profile: Harry Aleman
- Assassinations & Firebombs on Rise as Mobsters Fight to be Boss, Hells Angels could be Winner
- Living the high life without getting caught
- The War on Cops: How the New Attack on Law and Order Makes Everyone Less Safe