A three-day forum on fraud and identity theft, featuring a talk from a former Mafia boss, is expected to attract law enforcement agencies from throughout California to Gold Country Casino, starting May 16th. Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey, whose office is presenting the forum, said fraud and identity theft are the country's two fastest-growing categories of crime.
Topics to be covered include investigation of check and credit card fraud, computer and Internet fraud, counterfeiting, postal fraud and frauds involving contractors, workers compensation and automobile insurance.
On Thursday police officials will hear from Michael Franzese, a recognized expert on business and corporate fraud and a convicted Mafia boss once dubbed the "Long Island Don."
He reportedly beat charges brought by former New York state prosecutor Rudy Giuliani, but later decided to plead guilty to a racketeering indictment, accepted a 10-year prison sentence, then quit the mob.
From 2 to 4 p.m. on Thursday, Ramsey and investigator Jos Van Hout will present information to the public on fraud and identity theft at Gold Country Casino.
There is no reservation needed to attend the free public seminar. More information about identity theft and fraud can be obtained at buttecounty.
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Deeply Discounted Books
- ► 2015 (211)
- ► 2014 (377)
- ► 2013 (257)
- ► 2012 (210)
- ► 2011 (202)
- ► 2010 (161)
- ► 2009 (416)
- ► 2008 (355)
- ► 2007 (599)
- Capo "Convicts Himself"
- Jimmy Hoffa
- FBI Calls off Dig for Hoffa
- Congressman Questions Cost of Hoffa Search
- Donald Trump Connected to Chicago Mob?
- Reputed Capo recalls " A Few Nice Smashes" on Tape...
- DA Scoffs at "Mafia" Fed's Claim
- Gotti Jr. Indicted Again on Variety of Federal Cha...
- Alledged Mob Social Club: We Do a Lot of Good Thin...
- Did a Mob Boss Help Elect Richard J. Daley?
- Running a Union, Ruling the Alley
- One Family's Rise, A Century of Power
- Overheard: Jimmy Hoffa Dig Site
- Marketing Al Capone
- And the Oscar goes to ... Gregory DePalma?
- Mob Boss Threatens Liza Minnelli's Former Manager
- FBI Digs for Clues to Hoffa
- Michigan Farm Subject of Hoffa Search
- We're Not Mafia - Enron's Last Defense
- Mariah Carey Linked to Mafia
- Mob Rat on Stand at Trial of Jersey City 'Soldier'...
- Fraud Forum will Feature Former Mafia Kingpin
- Mob Murder Suggests Link to International Drug Rin...
- La Cosa Nostra Tough Guy-Turned-Witness follows th...
- Mob Museum in Las Vegas
- Book Club: Five Families: The Rise, Fall and Resur...
- After a Trial, the Tables Are Turned on a Defense ...
- Mop Cop Will Make Case for Poor Defense
- NY "Mafia" Firm is Closed
- Judge: Basis for Appeal in 'Mafia Cops' Trial
- Strippers + Golf + Police + The Chicago Mob = Laws...
- The Mafia Guide to Succeeding in Business
- 'Sopranos' in Trouble with the Law
- Mafia Cop Reportedly Can't Afford New Lawyer
- ▼ May (34)
- ► 2005 (156)